March 30, 2009

What does 'Tabata' stand for?

The best story of spring training? Undoubtedly Jose Tabata's familial misadventures:

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Pittsburgh Pirates prospect Jose Tabata is not involved in any wrongdoing in a bizarre case in which his much-older wife is charged with abducting a 2-year-old baby girl from a Florida couple, police told the team.

Tabata, a 20-year-old outfielder who is one of the Pirates' top minor leaguers, said in a statement Wednesday that he is "hurt, frustrated, and confused" that his 43-year-old wife, Amalia Tabata Pereira, is accused of taking the girl from a woman at a health clinic in Plant City, east of Tampa, on Monday night.

Tabata's wife was turned over Wednesday to authorities in Hillsborough County after she was held Tuesday night in a Bradenton jail in lieu of $750,000 bond. She was arrested after handing over the girl to authorities in a Bradenton shopping center parking lot, less than 24 hours after the infant was taken.

Read the full account here. I love how they make the age difference seem so scandalous. Then in the follow-up, we get these money quotes from Tabata himself:

"She completely falsified her pregnancy and the eventual birth of a baby girl, which would have made me a father for the first time. Imagine how that made me feel."

Yes, Jose, forget about the kidnapped child and her traumatized parents; you are the true victim here. Way to break the ol' self-obsessed-athlete stereotype.

"The truth is that my wife told me many lies that, until this whole situation began, I did not know. One that hurt me a lot was her history as a criminal -- that she had spent years in prison, that she had robbed and committed fraud."

I'm now guessing the vetting process for a 20-year old Venezuelan prospect's prospective wife isn't all that rigorous. Jesus, doesn't this kid have an agent?

"I will do everything possible, with the support of God and my family here with the Pirates, to overcome this craziness. The truth is I would never wish this situation on anybody, but I know that life has its good and its bad, and I know that good times are not too far off in the future."

Verily, one of the things that God definitely does is help people overcome craziness. It's like his prime directive. Though perhaps Tabata's not talking about that God:

"I asked myself, 'What would [Roberto] Clemente do in this situation?' I know Clemente was a man known for his decency, responsibility, doing what he says, and always doing the correct thing. And I believe the only correct thing in this moment is to tell the truth."

In these situations you must think, WWCD? By the way, your stance of totally deflecting blame, playing the victim, and lauding yourself for truth-telling is very Clemente- and/or Christ-like.

Finally, to answer my title's question, What does 'Tabata' stand for?

T
hose abducted babies are trouble anyway.

Take that, memory of Roberto Clemente!

1 comment:

  1. He is on the Pirates... Maybe his wife was confused?

    ReplyDelete